One of the hottest trends of the season is sporting the dark lip trend. If you’re thinking about making a statement with your lips with a fresh swipe of dark lipstick, I thought I’d share some key points you need to know and do to make sure your lips are perfect.
Get the Look
While burgundy lips may seem a bit bold and scary, they’re super easy to pull off.
- START OUT SHEER // If you’re not into that deep of a lip, try a more sheer formula such as a balm or lip tint. Dior Addict Extreme in Black Tie is perfect, it’s lightweight, hydrating, and semi glossy. You can also opt for berry or wine shades which will look less severe.
- COMPLIMENT YOUR SKINTONE // Fair skinned girls might want to opt for lighter shade such as a deep berry or plum. You’ll have less risk of looking goth and it’ll look a lot more wearable. This isn’t to say you can’t pull off a dark shade! Emma Stone, Kate Bosworth and Michelle Williams have all done it and I love a dark lip on pale skin. Medium and dark skin tones can get away with much deeper shades.
- KEEP THE REST OF YOUR MAKEUP SOFT // It’s usually best to pair burgundy lips with a clean eye so that you don’t risk looking overly made up or dramatic. Sweep a shimmery champagne eyeshadow across your lids and look for a similar shade of blush to keep the look semi monochromatic.
- MASCARA IS YOUR BEST FRIEND // With burgundy lipstick, mascara is your best friend. If your eye makeup if soft, several coats of mascara helps to accentuate your eyes without looking over dramatic.
- PREP YOUR LIPS // Dark lipstick accentuates dry lips so make sure to exfoliate and moisturize before applying your lipstick!
From sweet blackberry hues, to raspberry, burgundies and everything in between, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and play around with dark oxblood shades.